Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Visiting the Library.

When I was very little, my mother would try to give me as many educational opportunities as she could before I started kindergarten.  This included every Tuesday morning we would visit the public library for the weekly book reading.  It was such a special event for me that my mother made sure to put it on the calendar she made for each week so we would be sure not to forget.

One of my favorite books that they read at the library was "Where the Wild Things Are."  I remember how I loved this book, and using my imagination to put myself in the story as they read it.  When I was a child, reading was not just about experiencing my own world, it was about experiencing a different world.  Using my imagination to see great new things that no one had ever seen before.



3 comments:

  1. Your point about imagination when reading is so important. Some people naturally visualize when they read while others don't. That is one strategy that you can help students develop by asking them to draw or act out what they are reading. This can be done in any content area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I remember going to the library with my mom also - I enjoyed it a lot and it really shaped me in my desire to read.

    I also know what you are talking about with visualizing. I thought that everyone automatically visualized when they read (I don't ever remember not visualizing). But last semester in a literacy class I found out that this is actually a strategy because not all students do this naturally. I agree with Dr. Vetter - you should use this strategy with students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXACTLY dude!
    I was all about "Where the Wild Things Are" from the second I could read. I saw the movie first, second, and third night it was out. Hell, I drove 1100 miles home from school just so I could take my future wife-to-be to the theater with me!
    Imagination is integral to both reading and writing. Some people visualize images; some visualize words; others symbols. Language starts in our sub-conscious mind. It starts in our imaginations.

    ReplyDelete