Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A love of Science and Fantasy

For a long time when I read, I just got bored with the books I was reading, finding myself not really getting into the story.  When I was very little I liked to read because it helped to stimulate my imagination, and now that I was older, books that were about ordinary life just did not excite me anymore.  After I saw the movie, "I Robot," and found out that it was based on a book by Isaac Asimov,  gave reading it a try.  What I found through this book that reading about science fiction and the future genuinely excited me.

As I grew older I ventured more into the genre and found the books my Michael Crichton.  I immediately fell in love with his writing.  Crichton had ways of building suspense in his books that I had not read before.  He described the personalities of his characters not just through adjectives, but through stories that revealed the background information far better than any one word could do.  Books like Jurassic Park captured my imagination as Michael Crichton was able to take things that would have been unbelievable and make them seem almost believable in modern times.

2 comments:

  1. Admittedly, I am an SF junkie. The story from Asimov that became "I, Robot" was not even his best work. Try reading "Nightfall." Classic Asimov at his earliest prime.
    SF and Fantasy writers have a way of capturing the imagination in a way that stimulates readers more than other types of fiction. Maybe because of its obscurity, or the fact that it just possibly could not ever happen. Whatever it may be, it is a useful tool in the English classroom, in my opinion.

    My suggestions to you:
    Brian W. Aldiss ("A.I." is based off of one of his stories)
    James Morrow (just a funny writer, likes to poke fun at both religion and philosophy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a pretty big nerd myself. I just finished watching HBO's Game of Thrones and I'm chomping at the bit to read the novels now.

    ReplyDelete